Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Special Place in My Heart

I got to know these two kids really well last year when they were in my class. These two kids had a really hard time reading when they came to me last year, but, we worked and worked all year long to get them on grade level by the end of the year. They made so much improvement in just one school year, I was amazed! Both of their Mom's were extremely helpful and supportive and became some of my best friends. They would take what their kids learned at school and do the same things at home.

At the end of the school year last year it was really hard to let them go. Both of their supportive mom's vowed that they would work hard all summer to keep them reading so they didn't forget all they had learned, and that is exactly what they did.

At the beginning of this school year both mom's showed up in my classroom and asked if I would be willing to tutor their kids this year. We worked out our schedules so they could come to my house every Thursday for tutoring. We worked on more reading and math skills.

Throughout all of this I grew to love these children as if they were my own. We would look forward to having them in our home. Sometimes we finished early and we would let them play the Wii while they waited for their parents to arrive.

Just last week they both participated in the Center Stage play, You're A Good Man Charlie Brown. They asked us if we would come and watch them. Tommy and I got tickets for the Thursday show on the second row. We had so much fun watching them sing and dance on the stage. Everytime they came on stage I would point out to Tommy where they were and we would laugh and smile at just how adorable they are.

This post is just another reason of why I am a teacher, for kids like these two. I love that I can make a difference in the lives of my students. In this case though, these two kids have made a huge difference in our life. Thanks Mckay and Holly we love you!!

25 comments:

Pays said...

That is awesome Holly! You truly can't help but fall in love with those you teach. (Well, most of the kids anyway ;) They are so lucky to have such a wonderful teacher like you!! These kids will truly be touched by you for the rest of their lives.

AMY MICHELLE said...

Holly you are the dream teacher of every parent. To be able to teach, love, and make a difference in these kids lives that will stay with them forever. I hope my kids will be as blessed as Mckay & Holly. You amaze me!

Linda Clegg said...

You have made such a difference to so many...I know that McKay and Holly know how lucky they are but there are countless others who probably won't realize what a difference you've made until years from now! I know there are also adults who know and love you every day for the difference you've made in their lives...I know I'm one of them and I feel blessed every day!

Teisha said...

That is so cool! How wonderful to enjoy and get so much out of your job. It sounds like you are a wonderful teacher!

Kendal and Alissa said...

Holly you are such an amazing teacher and so talented. It's no wonder all of these kids LOVE you!

Lindz said...

Holly, you are sucha sweet teacher!! These kids are lucky to have you!! =)

Jedda said...

You go girl! 2 Teach is 2 touch a life 4 ever! You are awesome!

Kensie said...

That is so cute. I love being a teacher, it really pays off. I love that you guys went to the play, what a good teacher!!!
PS- I love Supercross but I hate the cold!

Carrie said...

One more thing.... McKay just came home from school and read your post. He wants me to ask you to teach 4th grade..... pretty please, with sugar on top and a cherry??!!

Carrie said...

What can I possibly say through my tears? THANK YOU THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for everything you are doing for our family. You are truly a godsend to us. Words cannot describe just how much you mean to our family. McKay has been touched by you for the rest of his life. I know his 2nd grade year is one he will remember for eternity! It's an honor to call you my friend!

Connie and Joe said...

Holly I was reading your blog and wondered if you would share the RS jeapordy game with me, I'm in the Mt Crest Ward. It sounds like you guys had alot of fun that night. Thanks Connie

Vicki Deaver said...

It looks great!

Shanna said...

you know something.. you are one of those teachers that you think back on and miss! you are so cute Holly, like I said I wish you were Kesley's teacher!

Kensie said...

oh no worries!!
Its an open house so just stop by if you can. I forgot to put that on the invite--oops!

Marion said...

so i've got a message from Summer and I started to wonder if you had a blog, so I googled you and who would've thought, but it showed! I had wondered whAT you had been up to, but it looks like you're still at manila. How is it going there? I didn't know summer wasn't there anymore.. Is the new teacher Nicole that took my place as an intern still there?
How bout Jana? tell tommy hi and I miss our rides and talks together. Man, after I think about it, I went through a lot of dumb guys with you... oh funny times....

Katrina said...

The museum is off the 95 and Las Vegas Blvd. My kids seriously LOVE it and spend hours without complaining each time we are there. You can google it and get directions too!

Don and Amy Bennion said...

Wow... life really does give back doesn't it? I can't imagine a more fulfilling role. It's great to check up and see what's going on from time to time. We look forward to seeing you guys again.

D

Sarah said...

Hi Holly! I got your blog address off of facebook :) I'm usually on blogger more than facebook. I've been wondering what you guys are up to!

I was just scrolling through some of your posts and I'm so impressed with your enrichments you do an awesome job!!

And I'm glad to see y'all are still Duke fans :) Tell Tommy I say Hi!

Shanna said...

Holly we need to get together soon! Call me please! 636-1155 miss you and Tommy so much!

Shanna said...

UPDATE UPDATE I WANT AN UPDATE!!

Kristy said...

I second Shanna! Blog girl!

Joselyn said...

Hey we took our blog private and I'd like to send you an invite..can you email me your email address at joselyngunderson@gmail.com?? Thanks! Hope you're doing well!

Marion said...

so i keep waiting for an update on your blog! but nothing seems to come....

Rylee said...

this is the only way i know how to contact you so i hope you get this comment. my sister is in tommy's parent's ward in vegas and she told us about tommy's brother passing away. we are so sorry and feel so bad. give tommy our condolances and a big hug from the hadlocks.

Rylee said...

my sister's name is chelsee nicoll. she has so many great things to say about the deaver family! hope all is well for you guys. what is new? any kids yet??