Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Homemade Bread...YUMMY!

This week I have off of school because it is Spring Break. This is the first Spring Break I haven't gone to Vegas to get my hair done. So on Monday I made of list of all of the little things I wanted to accomplish this week. I knew that if I did that I would force myself to get up and do things instead of sleep all the time. For those of you that know me I love to sleep and usually I sleep every break away and don't get anything done.

Some of the things on my list included organzing different parts of the house that drive me crazy, trying out some new recipes, running errands, and making homemade bread.

Let me give you a bit of background on the last one. Tommy's mom makes the BEST homemade bread I have ever tasted. Little by little I have been getting everything that I needed to make the bread. A couple of months ago Tommy's parents bought us all of the ingredients in bulk to make bread. I have wanted to try this for awhile now but have never made the time to do it. I have watched Tommy's mom make the bread and I am not going to lie I was very intimidated. (By the way did I mention that you have to grind your own wheat). I decided that this week was the week I was going to try to make it.

The only thing I didn't have was a rolling pin so I went and got a rolling pin and then started the process. After a few phone calls to Tommy's mom for some last minute help and reassurance I did it.

I don't know why I thought that it was going to be so hard. It wasn't hard at all and it tasted so good. We had BLT's last night just to test it out. We had Tommy's sister and our neighbors over and everyone said it was delicious!

Thanks Mom for the help and making me get over my fear of making homemade bread. I think I am going to try to make it at least a couple of times a month from now on.

Here is a picture of my masterpiece. Obviously I need to work on the presentation a little bit, but come on this this my first loaf!

21 comments:

Katrina said...

That is so cool! I always make Regan make the homemade bread and rolls. He is so much better at! So your husband is from Vegas right? What part? When you come down, what part of Vegas do you stay in?

mj said...

i am very proud of you!

Pays said...

Way to go Holly!!! That looks delicious.

Kendal and Alissa said...

Good job! I have tried to make homemade bread several times and always something goes wrong for me. Maybe I need your recipe!

Shanna said...

that does look yummy. I am very proud of you. Look at you all going domestic on me!! Have you checked my family blog lately?!

Rylee said...

i've just started to make bread, mine doesn't look nearly as good as yours! i am impressed!

HayLee said...

that looks awesome. Yum! I like to make homemade bread, but I cheat. Justin mom got me a bread machine for Christmas. I love it. I make bread once a week. By the way we had a way good time with you guys. It was good to catch up. let us know when you want to come out.

Teisha said...

I'm impressed. I love baking, but I have yet to try bread. It seems like so much work.

Rundells said...

How awesome is that! Way to go. I'll be expecting a sample when we are there this summer. You really amaze me at how ambitious you are.

Don and Amy Bennion said...

I am very impressed. I have failed so many times at making bread/rolls that it is hard for me to want to keep trying because it takes a long time, and when you don't get yummy bread at the end, that time doesn't feel worth it. But then I taste homemade bread and I am determined to learn to do it right so I can have it whenever I want it.

Anyway, I'm glad it turned out!
Amy

Kensie said...

Yummy!!!!Are you loving your Spring Break, I sure am. We are in Southern Utah right now and I just checked my blog for the first time in a long time. To answer your questions...No I did not ask Aaron to write on the blog, he was in San Fransisco when I posted that and hadn't seen the belly in a week. And no, I don't think anyone is throwing me a shower in the ward. Miss you guys... we will call you when we get home so we can actually do something

Bart and Krista said...

Wow! That bread does look delish! Wheat grinder? Rolling pin? You really are a Mormon woman!!

The Birds said...

HI Holly, I'm Mrs Frish sister. She told me about your cute blog cause I am going crazy getting ready for our purse Enrichment Night. I was wondering if you could send me that game. I know my night won't turn out as awsome as yours. But I am going to give it my best!! Oh, I am stilling the words to the songs also. Thanks!!
Did you guys give away purses as a price to the games?

corkyb21@hotmail.com

Cortnie

The Birds said...

I mean "Stealing" the song.
Ha, Ha!

Amanda said...

You sure are little miss domestic and creative! I just caught myself up on your last few posts and you've been doing some fun stuff. Tommy is such a good guy to help you out with all of your Enrichment adventures. What great ideas you've pulled together. And the bread, good job! I am hoping to learn how to make bread one of these days. Looks yummy!

Carrie said...

You go girl! I too get a bit overwhelmed when it comes to making homeade bread. I, like you, am going to attempt to make some this week. You say it's not that hard.... I'll be the judge of that! Wish me luck!

Kristin said...

That bread looks so good. I need that recipe. You did a great job!

Carrie said...

That looks soo good. There is nothing better than homemade bread. And I am totally with you when you say it is intimidating because that is why I still have yet to try to make it.

Teisha said...

So funny! Yes, I worked with Jill's husband Craig for like 5 years until he got another job. Do you still see them ever?

The Workman's said...

Your bread is so pretty! Mine always turns out all mangled and squished on top. I can never get it to rise like it's supposed to. I am inspired to keep trying though!

Jedda said...

I am so proud of you! I used to make it as a kid and I don't think I've made homemade bread since we've been married. Thanks for inspiring me. And I love your new blog design!